Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sunscreen Film Festival Opens in California

This week I'm getting a surprise visit from an old "friend." That's because the Sunscreen Film Festival - which I know from my time spent launching career schools in the southeast - is making its way from the west coast of Florida to the west coast of the United States.

Opening tomorrow, October 11 and running through Sunday, October 13, Sunscreen West created a program packed full of free workshops, screenings, panels and parties from California's South Bay to LA. Emmy Award-winning actor Ed Asner is also set to receive the festival's Lifetime Achievement Award Saturday, which should be a great event.


It's exciting to see Sunscreen with a presence here in my home of Manhattan Beach, and reminds me of my first experience with the fest back in 2010. One of my past students, Dr. Gary Dresden, screened his full-length feature, December, at the festival in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area in Florida. It starred Jeff MacKay (you may remember him from "Magnum PI," "Transformers," "JAG" and more). I remember Gary as a highly motivated student, and with more than 20 years practicing medicine prior to entering film school and envisioning movies of his own, he's a perfect candidate to show that film school is an avenue for people during any walk of life.

December was a hit at the event a few years ago and I can't wait to see what's in store at Sunscreen West this year. This highly regarded festival is sure to make for a fun weekend and I encourage any of the Palm Beach Film School and Miami Film School graduates who are currently living and working in the Los Angeles are to support this festival.

- Jim York

No comments:

Post a Comment