Thursday, November 7, 2013

Spotlight on Darktooth Films

I've come across so many smart and talented people in my years launching career schools, both students and colleagues. So besides just sharing my own experiences here on the blog, I plan to introduce you to others in the industry from time to time as part of a "Spotlight Series."

For the first spotlight interview, here's a peek into the world of Michael Eldon Lobsinger (also known as MEL) of Darktooth Films:


How and why did you get started in film?
MEL:  I began my career in filmmaking late in life at age 46 back in 2007, but the seed was planted way back in 1973 when Spielberg's "Jaws" came to the big screen. I immediately became a Steven Spielberg fan. I soon became a movie buff and later, a huge Clint Eastwood fan, and I am of many directors nowadays. I am also a musician and followed that path through my 20s and 30s while working a day job in concrete engineering. So after my daughters grew up and I found myself stuck in life at a high-paying job that didn't fulfill me at all, I decided to take a leap of faith and save up some funds to change my career into filmmaking.

What drew you to attend the Palm Beach Film School?
MEL:  Before deciding to attend the PBFS, I did some theatre work when I turned 40 back in 2000. I got the bug there after I helped out backstage at the Lake Worth Playhouse in Lake Worth, Fla., then ended up performing in six plays from 2000 to 2006. It was during that time I met actress Brenda Lee Kuban on set of "Run for your Wife." She noticed that I kept talking about directing films, so she handed me a postcard that had info on it about the Palm Beach Film School. And, being very nervous, I hesitated from calling the school for about six months until one day in winter 2006, I called and set up a meeting with Jim York.

What is your best memory from the school?
MEL:  Believe it or not, the best memory for me - if we're including my entire experience from being a student to all the way to producing something like 200 student films - is truly the experience of seeing the students' faces when we would wrap their film productions for their debut film. There is nothing like seeing the deer-in-headlights look from each student when it got close to film production (the same "look" I had when I filmed mine) and knowing that even though they're nervous and probably took on more than they should have for their first films, I was gonna do my best to help them complete them! From my own person student experience, I'd have to say the best memory would be when I was standing in the back of the theatre as my family sat and watched my first film on the big screen.


What was the most valuable take-away you learned at the school?
MEL:  I've repeated this valuable lesson(s) over and over when I became an instructor. I have four.
1.) There is no such thing as a fast film shoot.
2.) Once the camera is ready to roll, problems interferences and noise begin to occur; be well prepared.
3.) Keep your first film very simple.
4.) If it doesn't move the story forward, take it out.

How did you get involved in working with the Palm Beach and Miami Film Schools?
MEL:  Jim York and I hit it off from the moment we sat down to discuss my enrollment in the program. And I remember whispering to myself during that meeting, "I'm gonna be teaching here someday." I started school on February 12, 2007 and graduated on my 47th birthday on September 25, 2007 when my debut short film, "Miss Fyer" was screened. Two months later, in November 2007, (after working vigorously and endlessly for free on many film sets), Jim called me and offered me a job to be one of the line producers (production managers) for the school. It wasn't long after the new year, I was offered to help teach and be the production manager for the Miami Film School. Then before I knew it, I was the only production manager for both schools. Now, that was heaven for me. Being on set and teaching was a huge reward for me because you get to see these up and coming filmmakers being their own journey and you know exactly how they feel because you've been through it.


Tell us a little about Darktooth Films.
MEL:  Darktooth Films is the production company I started when I made "Miss Fyer." There's a couple reasons for calling it Darktooth; one, I'll share. Being I've always had a sweet tooth for junk food and a kind of "dark tooth" for films (i.e. Batman, Harry Potter), I went with Darktooth Films. I now specialize in shooting music videos for artists whom I truly enjoy. I still continue my freelance work as a cameraman for other production companies, such as Digital Motion Studios in Stuart, Fla., Dressage Training Online in California and JVM Video Production in Port Saint Lucie, Fla.

What are some of your recent projects?
MEL:  I am currently working on a music video for singer/songwriter Bobby Gugliuzza for his song, "Mustard Seed." I'm also currently in the second season of "Miracles & Meals," which is a Jewish cooking show that is broadcast on JLTV in Fort Pierce, Fla. I work the "B" camera for the show, which is produced by Darin Perron of Digital Motion Studios (DMS). I will also be heading to Las Vegas in November 2013 for some camerawork for the Medical Tourism Association filming their conventions and speakers (also a client of DMS).

Anything upcoming we should look out for?
MEL:  Right now, the music video I mentioned, "Mustard Seed," will be released in December 2013, which is quite exciting considering I've had former students help me on the project. I did finish a music video this past summer for a rap artist, TooSmooth, called "Back Luck," but am not sure when it will be released.

No comments:

Post a Comment