Friday, November 22, 2013

Tribute to a Film and Education Legend

A legend in both filmmaking and education sadly passed away this week. I was lucky enough to meet him and offer my school's students his teachings. Here is the story:

I hired Herb Sennett to teach screenwriting at the Palm Beach Film School in early 2004. He was a very talented teacher with an amazing ability to connect and motivate each and every student in his classroom. Herb was part of the school's original team along with Heath McKnight, Jennifer Crozier, Bob Carter and John McCormack.

At the time, I thought it was important to teach the Syd Field approach to screenwriting commonly known as the 3-Act Structure: Act 1 Set-up, Act 2 Conflict and Act 3 Resolution/Outcome. Although Herb was already very familiar with Syd's work, I asked him if he wanted to come with me to Los Angeles to attend the 2004 Screenwriter's Expo. I knew Syd was scheduled to lecture and thought maybe Herb and I could get a chance to meet with him so we could officially ask permission to use his books and teaching materials to enlighten the filmmaking students at the academy. 




We caught him at the end of a standing-room-only lecture and I asked permission. Turns out... he was thrilled we wanted to use his materials. He was interested and very supportive of the PBFS. I ran into him a few more times over the course of the next several years and shared a few more conversations. It was a good feeling heading back to Florida knowing we initiated communication with one of the most influential screenwriting teachers of our generation and now the Palm Beach Film School was on his radar screen!

Thanks for your support, Syd!


- Jim York

1 comment: